Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Hanukkah was early this year but don’t fret, sufganiyot, or jelly donuts, are a perfect little treat all winter. This recipe requires some patience and a lot of oil, but the final product is so worth it. Dare I say these might be better than Krispy Kreme’s?

Vegan Sufganiyot – recipe adapted from yumveganlunchideas.com

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Ingredients (makes 12 donuts):

• 1 packet of active dry yeast
  • ½ cup sugar (any sugar you have on hand will work)
  • 1 cup of warm water
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ canola oil and more to fry the donuts (around ⅔ cup)
  • ⅓ cup jelly
  • Powdered sugar for dusting

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, a teaspoon of sugar and warm water. Mix and set aside for 4-5 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface. This will indicate that the yeast is activated.
  2. In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix. 
  3. Add the oil to the yeast mixture. Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix.
  4. After the dough has been made, knead the dough on a flat, floured surface until a smooth ball is formed. Use as much dry flour as you need to achieve the desired texture.
  5. Place the dough ball back into the mixing bowl and cover with a damp towel for 2 hours so the dough can rise.
  6. After the 2 hours are up, use a cookie cutter or the rim of a cup to cut out circles. Place the circles on a plate, cover with a damp towel and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
  7. Heat the canola oil in a medium-sized pot. The oil should be around 350 F, but I dropped a piece of excess dough into the oil to check the temperature instead of using a kitchen thermometer. If the piece of dough bubbles upon entering the oil, the oil is ready.
  8. Place 2 to 3 donuts in the oil at a time. Cook for 5 minutes and flip halfway through or until golden brown.
  9. Using a piping bag or plastic bag, fill the bag with jam. If using a plastic bag, cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the bag.
  10. Cut a hole on both sides of the donut and pipe jam into the center.
  11. Before serving, dust the donuts with powdered sugar and enjoy!

I never thought I’d be able to make my own donuts from scratch. While this 11-step recipe looks daunting, making donuts is way easier than you think. For a video tutorial on this recipe, head on over to our Instagram. Gather some friends, get cozy, and savor your homemade sufganiyot! Happy Hanukkah! 

Stephanie Gerson
Stephanie Gerson is a fourth-year Art History major and On the Menu Co-Editor. She can usually be found taking long walks, wandering about museums or grocery shopping.