I don’t think my family has ever attempted a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We have the turkey and the mashed potatoes, the gravy and the cranberry sauce. But there’s always something slightly unconventional. Like the time we moved the holiday to October because my grandfather was in town.
This is a favorite amongst my family, perhaps solely for its simplicity. The Cool Whip-infused pudding makes for a rich, mousse-like filling for the pie. Between the firm crust and whipped candy cane topping, it’s something to look forward to the whole day.
- Chocolate Oreo/graham cracker pie crust
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 boxes chocolate instant pudding
- 1 tub (8 ounces) Cool Whip topping, thawed
- Crushed candy canes
- Pour 2 cups of milk into a bowl or measuring cup. Whisk into the pudding for about 2 minutes (the mixture will be thick). Gently fold in ½ tub of thawed Cool Whip.
- Fold it into a homogenous mixture and spoon into the crust. You can add the crushed candy canes into the pudding mixture, but they will bleed. Usually, we just use it as a topping during serving.
- Place the pie in the fridge to set for about 5 minutes. Top it with the remaining Cool Whip. Place the pie back in the fridge for 4 hours. Serve cold and garnish with candy canes.
Enjoy the mint-chocolatey goodness.