Editor’s Note: In previous years, the Daily Nexus News Team published a weekly article entitled, “Vista Point: Weekly Goings-on in Isla Vista,” which was a summary of weekly events within the UC Santa Barbara and Isla Vista Communities. The 2021-22 Nexus News Team has revived this column to keep our readers informed of local events and happenings. 

Nexus File Art

IVCSD To Add New Safety Station 

During the I.V. Community Services District (IVCSD) Oct. 26 meeting, the board of directors discussed a request to expand the Isla Vista Safety Stations program. The board approved the request to the I.V. Recreation and Park District (IVRPD) in a 5-to-1 vote.

The request sought approval for the establishment of a safety station in Greek Park. According to IVCSD Director Spencer Brandt, the staff worked with the UCSB UCPD to evaluate potential locations for a new safety station, and Greek Park was chosen due to its proximity to student and family populations as well as  its coverage of the northern I.V. area.

In 2017, the IVCSD partnered with the IVRPD to create the Isla Vista Safety Stations program to provide physical locations for Community Service Organization officers. Two stations have already been established: one at Little Acorn Park and one at Window to the Sea Park.

“This is funded as a priority, and we see the need. There are a lot of safety needs in I.V. at night right now,” IVCSD Director Ethan Bertrand said. “It’s a great program. It’s been successful. All of us have been proud of it.”

I.V. Theater Showings

The I.V. Theater is playing a series of showings on Tuesdays from Nov. 2 to Nov. 16, free of charge at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. The following films will be displayed: “The Forever Purge” on Nov. 2, “The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard” on Nov. 9 and “Jungle Cruise” on Nov. 16. I.V. Theater is also showing the following Magic Lantern films for $5 per ticket: “Old” on Nov. 1, “Free Guy” on Nov. 5 and Nov. 8, and “The Suicide Squad” on Nov. 19 and Nov. 22. Finally, a late night double feature of “The Rocky Picture Horror Show” on Nov. 5 at midnight will also be shown for $5 per ticket. 

Associated Students 

During the Oct. 27 Associated Senate (A.S.) meeting, the senators introduced and passed resolutions in support of Student Researchers United/United Auto Workers (SRU/UAW), UC-AFT’s ongoing contract negotiations and increasing accessibility at UCSB — all proposed by On-Campus Senator Jessy Gonzalez. 

The resolution in support of SRU/UAW urged UCSB to recognize the union in its entirety, said A.S. affirms its commitment to student representation in collective bargaining and tasked the External Vice President of Statewide Affairs (EVPSA) with a union recognition campaign. 

The resolution in support of UC-AFT urged the UC to meet the union’s demands and prove its commitment to social justice. It also asked the UC to commit to educational quality consistency, promised to share information on how the student body can help UC-AFT while working to minimize misinformation about UC-AFT’s campaign, urged students to stand in solidarity with UC-AFT and asked the EVPSA to circulate a petition on behalf of UC-AFT. 

The resolution to increase accessibility called for “all organizations in relation to the Associated Students of the University of California, Santa Barbara to take appropriate measures to identify and eliminate obstacles and barriers to accessibility for persons with disabilities.” The resolution also called for use of live transcriptions during online interactions, encouraged in-person meetings to take place in easily accessible areas, encouraged all organizations to raise awareness regarding the rights of persons with disabilities and demanded that the university be fully accessible to persons with disabilities. 

A.S. will be discussing a newly proposed bill opposing the construction of Munger Hall during their Nov. 2 meeting. The Nexus will further report on this bill at a later date. 

I.V. Wingstop Opens 

Wingstop, located between Starbucks and the Habit on Embarcadero Del Norte, officially opened its doors to the community. Community members can now enjoy the aviation-themed chain restaurant’s infamous wings, fries and more. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Nov. 4, 2021 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.
Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.