The Isla Vista Community Services District is a local governing body that was formed in 2016 with the goal of improving the quality of life and infrastructure in the UC Santa Barbara college town. The Community Services District is composed of five democratically elected members and two additional appointed seats. 

The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) provides community members with several resources in order to achieve their goal of improving the quality of life and infrastructure. Here are some resources for residents to take advantage of: 

Community Service Officers and Safety Stations 

IVCSD provides several safety stations throughout Isla Vista manned by community service officers — unarmed, student employees of UC Santa Barbara Police Department (UCPD). The goal of these stations is to improve public safety by creating a space for students to get a glass of water, charge their phones or request an escort anywhere in I.V. or on campus. The hope is to create a safer space for nightlife for students who might need help or resources while inebriated. 

Students are encouraged to utilize the Community Service Organization for many situations, including if they are incapacitated and cannot get home safely on their own, or if they are new to campus and lost.  

Rental Housing Mediation Program 

IVCSD provides a Rental Housing Mediation Program, where trained housing lawyers offer mediation services between roommates as well as between landlords and tenants. The program is free and available to all I.V. residents. 

“You’re a first-time renter, it can be really hard to get good customer service from your landlord,” IVCSD Board President Spencer Brandt said. “Additionally, sometimes you may have disputes between yourself and [a] roommate, and the [IV]CSD offers a Rental Housing Mediation Program where residents can receive mediation from a trained housing lawyer, that is designed to resolve whatever issues may come up.” 

I.V. Beautiful 

IVCSD provides a community beautification service called I.V. Beautiful, which allows community members to report graffiti or other issues around the community. Community members can download the SeeClickFix app, take a photo of the problem, write a brief description and request I.V. Beautiful staff to help resolve the issue. 

Interpersonal Violence Investigator 

Through a contract with UCPD, IVCSD provides an interpersonal violence investigator who is “trained in approaching issues of sexual and interpersonal violence through a harm reduction trauma-informed lens,” Brandt said. The investigator “works directly with survivors, suspects and witnesses to investigate interpersonal violence-related crimes in Isla Vista such as sexual assault and stalking.” 

Interpersonal Violence Investigator Kovena Avila can also connect survivors to various resources and services and be a survivor’s advocate. 

Isla Vista Compost Collective 

The I.V. Compost Collective (IVCC) collects community members’ compostable trash and composts it for them. IVCC gives those who have signed up for their program a five-gallon bucket for them to collect compostable materials in. Once a week, IVCC dirt riders pick up the compost, sort through it and drop it off to be composted. The buckets are then returned to the owners. 

I.V. community members can connect with IVCSD through public comment during any of their board meetings by emailing them or via social media. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 10 of the Sept. 23, 2021 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.