Warning: this article contains graphic content.

UC Santa Barbara’s Police Department issued a timely warning on Aug. 28 regarding a sexual assault that occurred in Isla Vista late at night on Aug. 27. The police department also received an anonymous report online on Aug. 28 about another, unrelated sexual assault that had occurred months prior. 

According to UC Police Department (UCPD) Lieutenant Dan Wilson, both survivors were being walked back to their residences by the perpetrator when the sexual assault occurred. 

UCPD responded to the sexual assault on Aug. 27 in the early hours of Saturday and issued a timely warning about it the next day. The sexual assault occurred on campus property. 

Both investigations are ongoing. 

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

Update [09/07/21, 10:40 p.m.]: This article has been updated to include information about a second sexual assault. 

Correction: [09/07/21, 10:40 p.m.]: This article has been corrected to say that the timely warning was issued for the sexual which occurred on Aug. 27. A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the timely warning was issued for the sexual assault that occurred months prior.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.