Warning: this article contains graphic content.

Zachary Coughlin, otherwise known as the Isla Vista “Mirror Bus Driver,” was found guilty of 14 felony charges on July 22 — three charges less than what he was originally charged with on Oct. 1, 2020. 

Coughlin’s in-person trial began on June 21, where he faced a jury of his peers who found him guilty of 14 charges including multiple counts of rape and sexual penetration of unconscious or intoxicated individuals. 

Coughlin was arrested and charged on May 19, 2020, following social media reports of his behavior, which included “stalking — for which he was arrested — yelling at community members and making references to the 2014 I.V. tragedy on his social media accounts.”

Coughlin pleaded not guilty to 17 felony charges during his arraignment on Oct. 1, 2020. He was charged with the following: two counts of sexual penetration of an unconscious person, two counts of sexual penetration of an intoxicated person, two counts of sexual penetration of an incompetent person, two counts of rape of an intoxicated person, one count of rape of an unconscious or asleep person, one count of of rape of an unconscious person, two counts of rape of an incompetent person, one count of oral copulation of unconscious or asleep person, one count of oral copulation of an incompetent person, one count of oral copulation of an intoxicated person, one count of forcible sexual penetration and one count of kidnap for rape, spousal rape, oral copulation or sodomy. 

Coughlin will be sentenced for all 14 counts on Sept. 23.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.
Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.