As the COVID-19 pandemic subsides and more people are resuming their normal lives, there has been a surge of the flu and common cold. This hearty soup combines the nutritional benefits of chicken soup with the antimicrobial and antiviral properties garlic and ginger have to offer to help you and your body recover quickly! It tastes delicious and can be easily stored for later and reheated. 

Alice Bilyk / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

• 5 chicken thighs
  • 3 scallions (white and green halves chopped separately)
  • 3 sprigs fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms (sliced)
  • 1-inch section of ginger (cleaned and minced)
  • 1 pound baby potatoes (cut in half)
  • 3 medium whole carrots (cut into rounds)
  • 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • 1-1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
  • Approximately 5-7 cups water (enough to cover the chicken thighs completely)
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)

Alice Bilyk / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. In a large pot or dutch oven on high heat, add water and salt lightly. Submerge chicken thighs and add more water if needed. Add bay leaves. Skim off any white foam as it appears.
  2. In a second smaller pot or frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and chopped white halves of the scallions. Cook with a little salt and pepper until the scallions are translucent (3-5 minutes).
  3. Add half the minced garlic and all of the minced ginger to the carrots and scallions. Cook until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
  4. Add the sliced mushrooms to the carrots, scallions, ginger and garlic. Add soy sauce (optional). Cook until soft, then take off the heat. 
  5. Once the chicken and water comes to a boil, add the potatoes. Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
  6. Add thyme, basil, dried parsley, the other half of the minced garlic and paprika. Pour in the contents of the other pan or pot (mushrooms, carrots, ginger, garlic and scallions) and mix. Let sit on low heat for 2-5 minutes for flavors to combine. 
  7. Garnish with the chopped green halves of the scallions and the chopped parsley. Salt to taste.
  8. (Optional) Pull or cut apart the chicken thighs into smaller pieces before serving.

This recipe is easy and relatively quick to make! Plus, it’ll feed you until your cold or flu subsides. If you want a spicy kick to clear your sinuses, add a little chili garlic paste to your bowl!