Siavash Ghadiri / Daily Nexus

Record Following Games Three & Four:

UC Santa Barbara: 30-16 (21-11)

UC Irvine: 29-15 (21-7)

Game Three Breakdown: Loss

The Gauchos couldn’t get anything rolling in the second game of the doubleheader. They continued their poor hitting into this game, managing a less-than-impressive 2 hits on the day. Starter Cory Lewis tossed a solid game for the Gauchos, going 6.1 innings, giving up 3 earned runs and picking up 11 strikeouts. Reliever Jorge Arellano Jr. got roughed up in the seventh inning, giving up 2 earned runs, putting the Gauchos down 6-0. There were no relief appearances for the Anteaters as their starter, Michael Frias, went the distance to the tune of 10 strikeouts across 9 shutout innings. 

Game Four Breakdown: Loss

This game featured the third straight game of no run support for the Gauchos pitchers. However, a lot of run support was needed in this game as the Gauchos pitching got roughed up as JD Callahan gave up 4 earned in just over 2 innings and Conner Roberts gave up 3 earned in just over 3 innings. Conner Dand provided stability in the latter innings, going 3.1 scoreless innings. On the offensive side, they knocked the Anteaters’ starter out of the game in the third inning, and the Anteaters’ bullpen was lights out the rest of the game, giving up 0 runs. So, the Gauchos dropped the series in game 4 to the tune of a 7-2 loss.

Game Three by the Numbers:

Near perfection…

Starter Michael Frias shut down the Gauchos on Saturday evening, going the distance in the ballgame, while only allowing 5 baserunners and striking out double the amount he let on base. 

Hard hitter…

Centerfielder Mike Peabody provided the runs for the Anteaters, driving in 4 of the 6 runs, and going the yard on the day.

Where is the top of the lineup…?

The Gauchos first 4 hitters went a combined 1-15 with 1 walk against Frias. 

Game Four by the Numbers: 

Can’t do it by himself…

Zach Rodriguez had almost half of the Gauchos hits, having 3 of the 8 hits for the Gauchos. 

Unhittable…

The Anteaters bullpen went 5.1 innings, allowing just 4 hits and 0 runs. 

Combined effort…

The Anteaters stole a page out of the Gauchos book by having a combined effort for the victory. They had four different players have at least one RBI and six different players score at least one run.

What’s next for the Gauchos?

After a disappointing season series loss versus UC Irvine, the Gauchos fall a couple of games behind the Anteaters, but retain second place in the conference. The Gauchos will go on to face the UCLA Bruins in a three-game non-conference series, taking place from May 14 to May 16. Stay tuned for the preview!