I’m Jewish and I have always struggled with finding recipes for Passover that don’t just use matzah as the main ingredient. For some context, Passover celebrates the Israelites’ journey from Egypt. While leaving Egypt, they did not have time for their bread to rise. Hence, we do not eat leavened bread, other wheat products and many other foods during Passover to commemorate the Israelites’ journey across the desert to freedom. During Passover, Jews eat an unleavened, cracker-type food called matzah, but I have never been a huge fan. These coconut macaroons are completely kosher for Passover and taste great!

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Makes 12 macaroons

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 ¼ cups dried, unsweetened coconut shreds
  • ¾ tablespoon of potato starch
  • ¼ cup of cane sugar
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • 2 large egg whites
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 ounces dark chocolate (about 1 ½ dark chocolate bars)
  • Optional: ½ teaspoon almond extract

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. 
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the coconut shreds, potato starch, sugar and salt with a spatula until well combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites and vanilla extract. 
  4. Combine the egg white mixture with the dry ingredients and let this mixture sit for 20 minutes.
  5. On a baking sheet, form the mixture into balls.
  6. Bake the macaroons for 20 minutes until the bottom is a light golden brown color. 
  7. Once the macaroons have cooled, begin melting the chocolate in the microwave until smooth. I’d suggest melting the chocolate for 1 minute.
  8. Gently dip the bottoms of the macaroons into the melted chocolate.
  9. Optional: Fill a plastic bag with melted chocolate, cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and drizzle chocolate across the tops of the macaroons.
  10. Refrigerate the macaroons for 20 minutes and enjoy!

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Note: To make this recipe vegan, use aquafaba (the liquid from a chickpea can) in place of the egg whites!

Even if you’re not Jewish or celebrating Passover, macaroons are an easy dessert that’s fluffy, light and perfect for spring! Did I mention these are gluten free? Go make them! 

Stephanie Gerson
Stephanie Gerson is a first-year student studying Art History at UCSB. She is from Palo Alto, California and she is passionate about sustainability, fashion, photography and vegan cooking. In her spare time, Stephanie loves going on bike rides on campus, catching up with friends, or spending hours on her latest embroidery piece!