The second victim from the Jan. 7 shooting on Burtis Street in Goleta passed away on Jan. 29, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office announced in a press release that same day.

The victim was identified as Jasper Pieter van der Meulen, 19, a first-year student at UC Santa Barbara, according to a student death notification from the university. 

Van de Meulen attended Dos Pueblos High School and graduated from Alta Vista High School in 2019, Noozhawk reported, during which he participated in the Engineering Academy, soccer, volleyball and cross-country. 

According to a Jan. 11 press release from the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO), the two victims were sitting in a parked car around 12:30 p.m. when passersby heard gunshots and witnessed a subject fleeing from the area.

Responding deputies pronounced Enzo Marino Rastelli, a 19-year-old Santa Barbara City College student, dead at the scene; Van de Meulen was taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to the Jan. 11 press release. 

No arrests have been made and a suspect is still at large, according to the Jan. 29 press release. Anyone with information can contact SBSO anonymously at (805) 681-4171 or leave a tip here.

Max Abrams
Max Abrams served as the lead news editor for the 2020-2021 school year. He is from Buffalo. That's all you need to know.