This is my first holiday season being vegan, and I’ve always wondered what vegans eat on Thanksgiving. It seemed like there had to be a better option than mashed potatoes and plain vegetables. After scouring the internet and tapping into my creative side, I decided to try making stuffed delicata squash. Not only is this recipe very fun to make and visually appealing, it’s packed with protein from farro and chickpeas so non-meat eaters can still enjoy a satisfying holiday meal! 

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Yields 2 servings

Prep time: 8 minutes

Cook time: 25 minutes 

Ingredients:

• 1 delicata squash
  • Olive oil or cooking spray
  • ½ cup of quick cooking farro (Trader Joe’s has the best farro!)
  • ½ cup of chickpeas
  • Spinach (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 2 tablespoons of walnuts or other dried fruit/nuts
  • 1 tablespoon of oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Tools needed:

• 1 medium pot with a lid
  • Cutting board
  • Large knife
  • Spoon
  • Baking tray and parchment paper
  • Measuring spoons

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash the outside of the delicata squash and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Toss the seeds into the compost or trash bin.
  2. Place the two halves of the squash, with the inside of the squash facing up, onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat the squash with olive oil or cooking spray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
  3. While the squash is cooking, combine the farro and 1 cup of water in a pot on the stove. Spinach can be added here, but it’s not mandatory! Cook the farro for 10 minutes on low heat, covered with a lid.
  4. Finally, put the farro mixture inside the delicata squash halves. Add chickpeas, crushed walnuts, oregano and salt on top. Now, your vegetarian main dish is ready to be served! 

Stephanie Gerson / Daily Nexus

Now that I know how easy it is to find healthy and creative holiday recipes for vegans, I can’t wait to try out more recipes like this. This recipe is very customizable and can be made with a variety of seasonal fall squashes and any filling you desire. I hope this recipe can become a staple at your holiday table!

Stephanie Gerson
Stephanie Gerson is a fourth-year Art History major and On the Menu Co-Editor. She can usually be found taking long walks, wandering about museums or grocery shopping.