Philz Coffee is a Bay Area staple known for its artisanal coffee blends and unique takes on your everyday iced latte. One of the chain’s most popular drinks is their Iced Mint Mojito, and for good reason. While coffee and mint may seem like an odd combination at first, the bitterness of the coffee is perfectly complemented by the sweet, refreshing notes of mint, and the drink itself is so smooth and creamy. 

With a price tag of $5 a cup, however, Philz’s Iced Mint Mojito is definitely not cheap. But with just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen, you can recreate this iconic drink on a budget, super easily!

Michelle Lee / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

• 2 shots of hot espresso or 3/4 cup of strongly brewed coffee 
  • 1 cup of milk of your choice 
  • 2 teaspoons of sugar 
  • 4-6 mint leaves, 1 for optional garnish 
  • 2 tablespoons of heavy cream (essential!) 
  • 3/4 cup of ice 

Michelle Lee / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Place your mint leaves in a small bowl or coffee mug. Cover them with the 2 teaspoons of sugar.
  2. With a mortar or metal spoon, grind the mint leaves and sugar in small circles until the mint is fragrant. The sugar helps the mint leaves break down and release oils. 
  3. Pour freshly brewed espresso or coffee into a bowl/coffee mug with mint and sugar mixture. Let sit for 1 minute. 
  4. While espresso/coffee is sitting, fill a cup with 3/4 cup of ice and 1 cup of milk. 
  5. Carefully pour coffee mixture into a cup, so as to not let the mint leaves fall in. Placing a mesh strainer over the cup may be helpful. 
  6. Top cup with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Feel free to add more if you would like your drink to be more creamy. 
  7. Stir the drink all together with a spoon or straw, and garnish with a sprig of mint. Enjoy! 

Michelle Lee / Daily Nexus

While nothing can really beat the authentic Philz’s Iced Mint Mojito, this recipe is a great alternative for those who do not live near a Philz Coffee. The secret to this recipe is letting the crushed mint leaves steep in the hot coffee to get that hint of mint, and topping the drink with cream to mimic the creaminess of Philz Coffee drinks. Even for people who are not familiar with Philz, this DIY Iced Mint Mojito is a fun, easy way to elevate your typical iced coffee!

A version of this article appeared on pg.10 of the November 12 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Michelle Lee
Michelle Lee (she/her/hers) is one of the Co-Editors for On the Menu for the 2021-2022 school year. She is an avid sourdough bread enthusiast and loves a good tote bag.