Now that it is summer, I have been craving something lighter for a snack or dessert. I would always order a galette-style pastry at coffee shops, but now I have one of the easiest recipes for a delicious apple-strawberry puff pastry tart that all of us can make at home! This is perfect for someone who is new to baking and it requires very few, mostly fruit, ingredients so it’s a little lighter on the stomach. This is one of my family’s favorite desserts and we’ve learned that it goes perfectly with some ice cream, too. For all of the inexperienced bakers — and the experienced — this is a simple apple-strawberry puff pastry tart with the perfect crunch! 

Sonya Raytburg / Daily Nexus

Ingredients: 

• Classic puff pastry dough (brand used: Dufour Pastry Kitchens) 
  • 2 apples
  • ⅓ cup apricot jam
  • Strawberries
  • Walnuts (optional)
  • Cinnamon

Directions: 

1. Keep the dough in the fridge while the preparations are being done. 
  2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
  3. Peel the skin off of the apples. 
  4. Cut the apples into thin slices. 
  5. Cut the strawberries into small slices. 
  6. Roll or break the walnuts into small, crumble-like pieces. 
  7. Mix ⅓ cup of the apricot jam with a splash of water (about 2-3 tablespoons). 
  8. Put parchment paper on a sheet pan. (Sheet used was 18 by 12 inches).
  9. Take the dough out of the fridge and put it on the pan; the dough can be spread to fit closer to the edges of the pan. 
  10. Spread the jam mixture all over the dough and place the apples everywhere on top. Then add the strawberries, sprinkle on the walnuts and top it off with enough cinnamon to your liking. 
  11. Place the tart into the oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy. 
  12. Let the tart cool for about 10 minutes and then enjoy!

I also want to mention that although I used the apple-strawberry combination, this recipe is super flexible with toppings. You can experiment by combining apples with other fruits; I tend to prefer the apples with berries but it can be totally catered to your liking!