Who doesn’t love mozzarella sticks? They’re crunchy on the outside and ooey-gooey on the side, making it the perfect snack for any occasion. I’ve made them at home before, but I recently tried air frying mozzarella bites, and this just makes the whole process easier than ever! The ingredients are simple and the air fryer helps make it even easier because you don’t have to clean up any frying oil.
- 4 pieces of string cheese
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the string cheese into thirds.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper together in a small, shallow bowl.
- Working with one piece at a time, coat the string cheese pieces in flour and then egg. Then, roll them in the panko breadcrumbs. Then, dunk the string cheese piece into the egg again and then press more breadcrumbs to ensure that the piece is full coated.
- Repeat these steps for all of the pieces and set the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat the air fryer tray generously with cooking oil spray and place the mozzarella bites inside, evenly spaced.
- Fry the mozzarella bites for 8 minutes and then let them cool down for 2 minutes before serving with marinara sauce.
This snack only took about 15 to 20 minutes to make and they’re perfect to eat alone or to share! One thing I’d recommend is to really press the breadcrumbs onto the cheese when prepping the mozzarella bites so that the cheese doesn’t ooze out like they did in mine. But if it does, no worries! They still taste delicious.