Donuts are the quintessential breakfast treat, but have you ever tried mochi donuts? Mochi is a sweet Japanese rice cake that has a chewy texture and is often molded into small spheres. Most people commonly eat this glutinous dessert in the form of mochi ice cream, but mochi donuts have become a rising trend in the past year. This recipe is a simple way to create this treat at home, and it’s perfect for brunch. You can top it off with powdered sugar or try out different-flavored glazes to go with your donut balls.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups glutinous sweet rice flour

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon room-temperature butter

1 cup hot water

Canola oil, for frying

Powdered sugar, for dusting

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Break up and incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients.
  2. Pour ½ cup of hot water into the bowl and combine with a spatula. Add the rest of the water 2 tablespoons at a time until the dough is fully combined and moist.
  3. Let the dough rest in the fridge for an hour.
  4. After an hour, form the dough into ping pong-sized balls, and place them on an oiled plate or baking sheet.
  5. Heat your frying oil to 365 F in a medium-sized pot. Fry 5-6 dough balls at a time until golden brown all around. This will take 3-4 minutes.
  6. Place the fried mochi donut balls on a paper towel or drying rack to cool off. 
  7. Dust them with powdered sugar and enjoy!

These donuts came out great the first time I made them, as they were crunchy on the outside but super chewy on the inside. The one-hour rest time can make this recipe seem more tedious than it is, but if you make this for a weekend brunch, you can simply use that hour to cook your main dish, and the timing will work out perfectly!

(Recipe adapted from tastemade.com)