Popular in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines, pita bread can be used in any meal that calls for bread. Besides eating it with hummus as a delicious snack, I decided I needed to use up my large Costco pack of pita bread and cook something up. Impress your whole family (like I did) by showing you can cook a healthy and juicy dinner (or lunch)! 

Liliana Linan / Daily Nexus

Chicken Gyro

Serving: 4-5

Ingredients: 

For the chicken: 

• ¼ cup of olive oil
  • 1 lemon
  • ½ orange
  • 4 large garlic cloves, minced 
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast 

For the tzatziki sauce:

*Disclaimer: I personally didn’t want to buy a container of Greek yogurt so I cheated a bit and bought the premade Trader Joe’s tzatziki dip, but this recipe is convenient if you like Greek yogurt and will use it for other recipes!*

• 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped dill
  • ½ lemon
  • 3 cloves of garlic 
  • Salt and pepper to taste

For the final product:

• Pita bread 
  • Diced tomato
  • Lettuce 
  • Sliced onion 

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, use olive oil, lemon, orange, garlic, oregano, cumin and paprika to make the chicken seasoning.
  2. Cover each chicken breast in the seasoning and then liberally add salt and pepper.
  3. Set the chicken aside for about 30 to 40 minutes (do not leave the chicken to marinate for any longer because the lemon’s acid will ruin the texture)
  4. While waiting for your chicken, you can prepare the tzatziki sauce by combining together all of its ingredients in a blender until smooth and then place it in the fridge for later. 
  5. After 30 minutes have passed, heat your grill or a pan with some olive oil on medium-high and then cook the chicken (about five minutes on each side).
  6. Assemble the chicken gyros by grabbing a pita bread (I like to heat up my pita bread like a tortilla), spreading some tzatziki sauce on the bread, filling it with the sliced grilled chicken and topping it with the tomatoes, lettuce, onion and, finally, more sauce.
Liliana Linan
Liliana loves watching films, listening to music, and obsessing over Timothée Chalamet. She also adores learning the French language and looks forward to her daily coffee or boba drinks.