Strawberry season is finally here and what better way to celebrate than with a refreshing cup of strawberry milk? Fresh strawberry milk is a very popular beverage in Korea, and I’ve been wanting to make it myself ever since watching some very aesthetically pleasing YouTube videos of baristas making this drink in Korean cafes. A lot of recipes online require blending or boiling the fruit to create the strawberry syrup, but this recipe doesn’t require any of that, which is perfect for lazy college students because that means there are fewer dishes to wash!

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Ingredients (for four servings):

• 2 cups strawberries, diced
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 4 cups of the milk of your choice

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

Directions:

1. Thoroughly rinse your strawberries and dice them into small pieces. Place them into a large bowl.
  2. Pour in the brown sugar and let the mixture sit for one hour.
  3. After an hour, the sugar and strawberries should produce a sweet syrup. Using a spoon, give the mixture a thorough mix to ensure that all the brown sugar is incorporated into the syrup.
  4. Fill your cup ⅓ of the way with the strawberry and syrup mixture. Fill the rest of the cup with the milk of your choice.
  5. Stir well and enjoy!

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

The great thing about this recipe is that it really doesn’t require that much effort and you can customize it by using different types of milk. I used almond milk because I try to stay away from consuming too much dairy, but I’ve heard that milk alternatives that are less water-based, like coconut milk, work best for this recipe. Nevertheless, this is a super easy beverage recipe that you can make in the mornings and enjoy throughout the week. If you can’t finish all four servings of this strawberry milk (I don’t recommend finishing all of it in one day), the syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. 

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.