Police arrested a Lompoc resident Friday night following a fight on the 6600 block of Del Playa Drive in Isla Vista, during which the suspect allegedly discharged a firearm before running from the scene. 

The resident, 20-year-old Christopher Maxwell, is currently being held at the Santa Barbara County Jail on a $250,000 bail. He was charged with assault with a firearm, shooting at an inhabited dwelling, possession of a firearm with the serial number filed off and carrying a loaded firearm in public, all of which are felony charges.  

The UC Santa Barbara Police Department and the California Highway Patrol responded to the 6600 block of Del Playa Drive just before midnight on Friday after multiple people called 911 to report a fight between “several subjects,” according to Raquel Zick, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) spokesperson. 

“As deputies were responding, a shot was heard,” Zick said in the press release. When police arrived at the scene, “deputies learned a male suspect had been involved in an argument, pulled a gun from his waistband, and fired a single shot.” 

No one was injured but it appeared that “a round struck a cement walkway,” Zick said. 

After releasing a description of the suspect, deputies arrested Maxwell on the 6700 block of Sabado Tarde as he was leaving in a rideshare vehicle. According to Zick, police found a “revolver with one round spent and a serial number filed off” in Maxwell’s backpack. 

As of Monday at 4 p.m., Maxwell is still in custody. 

Evelyn Spence
Evelyn Spence harbors a great love for em dashes and runs on nothing but iced coffee, Jolly Ranchers and breaking news. She serves as the managing editor and can be reached at evelyn@dailynexus.com, managing@dailynexus.com or at @evelynrosesc on Twitter.