Interested in keeping up with what’s happening across the UC system? Look no further! Our column “UC News” will showcase the top stories of the week from other UC student newspapers in our weekly print edition and online.

Sam Rankin / Daily Nexus

UCLA: Westboro Baptist Church Protests at UCLA  (Daily Bruin)

A group of six picketers from the Westboro Baptist Church were seen holding picket signs near the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs on Monday morning. In response, a group of roughly 20 counter-protestors appeared, bearing pro-LGBTQ+ signs while blasting music from a speaker; law enforcement, spectators and university officials gathered across the street. According to a member of the Westboro Baptist Church, the group was at UC Los Angeles to preach and warn people about the Bible.

UCLA: New Immigration Law Center To Open at UCLA Following Alumni Donation (Daily Bruin)

Following a $5 million donation from a former UC Los Angeles School of Law alumna and her husband, the law school launched a new immigration center on Feb. 6 to expand its work with Southern California immigration law organizations and publish policy reports. The new center will also focus on improving the law school’s existing immigration law programs and host faculty-led trips to the Texas-Mexico border.

UC San Diego: Engineering Students Receive Mass Spam Emails (The Guardian)

Undergraduate UC San Diego engineering students were flooded with emails on Jan. 30 after a stream of unwanted spam made its way into their accounts — the result of a flaw within the university’s mass email feature. The emails came from various websites such as LinkedIn, Tinder and Christian Mingle, all of which were meant for a person under the pseudonym of Joseph Hawk. To prevent this from happening again, the UCSD Office of Engineering and Computing forwent its automatic sending feature in favor of manually combing through each and every mass email.

UC Berkeley: Student Government Votes “No” on Resolution That Would Condemn Bears for Palestine (Daily Californian)

The ASUC University and External Affairs Committee at UC Berkeley voted against a bill on Feb. 10 that would condemn Bears for Palestine for its cubicle display in Eshleman Hall, the Daily Cal reported. Students on both sides of the argument were present for the meeting’s public comment, with the majority in support of Palestine. Many students were critical of the student government’s bill, some of whom labeled the vote as an act of “hate” and were “deeply disappointed” by its decision to even consider condemning Bears for Palestine.

UC Berkeley: People’s Park Open House Interrupted by Protestors (Daily Californian)

The first of three open houses for a proposed housing project at People’s Park, near UC Berkeley, was met with resistance after a group of roughly 50 protestors rallied against its development throughout the event. The protestors formed a large circle, sang, played instruments and gave a series of speeches in opposition to the housing project — while also providing a list of alternative spaces for the project that they believe would better suit the needs of the community. If built, the People’s Park development would provide 1,200 beds for undergraduate students and 75 to 125 permanent living spaces for houseless individuals.

A version of this article appeared on p. 3 of the Feb. 13, 2020 print edition of the Daily Nexus.