Opened in 1952, Frances and Gaetano Giuliano established their delicatessen in Gardena, Calif. Bringing with them a tradition of Italian cuisine, the couple established a legacy of freshly prepared and inexpensive food. Offering a wide assortment of Italian deli items and warm loaves of bread, Giuliano’s in Gardena is the only location to feature multiple generations of descendants who have satisfied thousands of hungry customers for nearly 60 years.
Entering Giuliano’s, you are presented with a large selection of fine deli meats and cheeses. From fresh cut roast beef to salamis and salads, Giuliano’s offers a variety of deli items for customers to order at the counter. Customers can also purchase a variety of other ingredients to complement those prepared fresh — everything from olives and sauces to wines galore.
Alongside their deli, Giuliano’s also has a fantastic bakery inside. Freshly baked and prepared daily, you can find classic favorites like their signature country French rolls and beer rye bread or sweet pastries like the custard-filled eclairs and strawberry shortcake.
Their shining glory in my opinion is their food, prepared using their in-house ingredients, which can be enjoyed for lunch in the Southern California sun outside or ordered out for catering. Their menu can be broken down into a few different sections:
- Sandwiches, with options such as their Original Torpedo, Turkey Capri and the All American Hero averaging around $5-8
- Hot sandwiches, such as the Mediterranean Grilled Chicken, French Dip and Crumbled Sausage ranging from $6-11
- Pasta, with options such as spaghetti marinara, fettuccine alfredo and lasagna — consisting of a family recipe of layers of pasta, sauce, meat and cheese and available in a vegetarian and artichoke option — ranging from around $7-10
- Pizza, ranging from traditional margherita to barbecued chicken
- Calzones, available either as homestyle or vegetarian with a side of marinara sauce
- Salads, such as Antipasto or Classic Chopped Cobb
- Soups, a daily homemade variety served with a fresh-baked country roll
While any one of their menu items is sure to be a favorite, we personally tried the Mediterranean Grilled Chicken sandwich and spaghetti marinara during our last visit. Both were packed with flavor and prepared upon order, helping to perfectly curb that afternoon hunger. The sandwich was well balanced, not at all dry and highlighted by the freshly baked bread. The pasta was similarly delicious, the sauce incorporating well and complemented by an extra touch of basil.
Giuliano’s is the perfect place to grab a few essentials or stop by for lunch with a loved one. With so much to offer, it can be difficult not to be overwhelmed by the smells that welcome you at the door alone. Be sure to set some time aside and stop by Giuliano’s in Gardena to get a taste of generations’ worth of Italian cuisine.