Halloween is fast approaching and with it an avalanche of candy and dentist visits. If you’re like me, you might be wondering what candy ranks supreme. Well, I am glad to say, this recipe may make up your mind! Treacle Tarts are the perfect simple pie for a Halloween night in with friends or a spooky evening to yourself. These caramel treats may also tickle the fancy of several Harry Potter fans out there!
13 oz. Lyle’s Golden Syrup
2 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. heavy cream
½ cup plain breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1 frozen pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan, combine 13 oz. of Lyle’s Golden Syrup and 2 tbsp. butter, and cook on low heat, mixing until the butter just starts to melt. Then remove from heat.
- Pour in 3 tbsp. of heavy cream and whisk vigorously, enough to cool the mixture to prevent the egg from cooking. Add one large egg and ½ cup breadcrumbs, and stir until combined.
- Add the filling to a room temperature pie crust, and place in the oven for 40-45 min or until the crust golden brown and the pie mostly set.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least four hours or until the pie has firmed up to your liking.
You will never look at a Werther’s original the same way again! The pie is perfect for a Halloween sugar binge, but be warned: It is a little on the sweet side (and by a little, I mean a lot!). This pie will keep in the fridge for about a week sealed in tin foil to keep the moisture in. This pie makes for a great night in with friends or a binge-a-thon of “Harry Potter” by yourself. However you like it, Treacle Tarts will be a golden addition to your spooky season.
Recipe adapted from Binging with Babish.