Halloween is fast approaching and with it an avalanche of candy and dentist visits. If you’re like me, you might be wondering what candy ranks supreme. Well, I am glad to say, this recipe may make up your mind! Treacle Tarts are the perfect simple pie for a Halloween night in with friends or a spooky evening to yourself. These caramel treats may also tickle the fancy of several Harry Potter fans out there!

Shelby Guy / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:  

13 oz. Lyle’s Golden Syrup

2 tbsp. butter

3 tbsp. heavy cream

½ cup plain breadcrumbs

1 large egg

1 frozen pie crust

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a saucepan, combine 13 oz. of Lyle’s Golden Syrup and 2 tbsp. butter, and cook on low heat, mixing until the butter just starts to melt. Then remove from heat.
  3. Pour in 3 tbsp. of heavy cream and whisk vigorously, enough to cool the mixture to prevent the egg from cooking. Add one large egg and ½ cup breadcrumbs, and stir until combined.
  4. Add the filling to a room temperature pie crust, and place in the oven for 40-45 min or until the crust golden brown and the pie mostly set.
  5. Place in the refrigerator for at least four hours or until the pie has firmed up to your liking.

You will never look at a Werther’s original the same way again! The pie is perfect for a Halloween sugar binge, but be warned: It is a little on the sweet side (and by a little, I mean a lot!). This pie will keep in the fridge for about a week sealed in tin foil to keep the moisture in. This pie makes for a great night in with friends or a binge-a-thon of “Harry Potter” by yourself. However you like it, Treacle Tarts will be a golden addition to your spooky season.

Recipe adapted from Binging with Babish.