Nine Isla Vista residents were transported to the hospital Thursday night after showing symptoms of drug overdoses, the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office reported.

Siavash Ghadiri / Daily Nexus

I.V. Foot Patrol, UCPD deputies, Santa Barbara County Fire and American Medical Response medics responded to an initial report of an unresponsive college-aged male on the 6500 block of Del Playa Drive at around 10 p.m., according to an SBSO press release.

The unconscious male was lying in the backseat of a vehicle, and his housemates stated he had ingested narcotic pain reliever Oxycontin and an unknown amount of alcohol. He was immediately transported to a hospital.

While officers and deputies were still at the scene, another male who had stopped breathing was carried out of the residence; a Sheriff’s deputy administered a single dose of Narcan, or naloxone nasal spray.

The victim began to breathe after receiving the dosage.

Officers and deputies conducted a wellness check of the residence. Around 20 college-aged students were gathered inside the residence and seven of the students were exhibiting symptoms similar to a drug overdose.

Several of the subjects transported to the hospital were UC Santa Barbara students, according to the release.

The students showing symptoms of an overdose had reportedly consumed a “blue pill.” Nine male subjects were transported to the hospital for treatment.

Eight of the patients have been released from the hospital. The ninth is expected to be released from the hospital today.

This story will be updated.

Tamari Dzotsenidze
Tamari Dzotsenidze, Managing Editor, first started at the Daily Nexus her first quarter freshman year as an assistant news editor. When not in the dungeon under Storke tower, she likes to make weird art and go to the beach with her dog Duke.