GO GREEN
Earth Month is in full swing, and the Isla Vista Food Cooperative is celebrating by hosting various activities from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. that are fun for the whole family. Participants can decorate a pot and plant a succulent to take home, make an earth cup with worms and edible grass and help create a chalk mural. For those interested in learning about composting, the A.S. Department of Public Worms and the Santa Barbara County Waste Division will be teaming up for a home composting workshop from 12-1 p.m. There will be fresh hummus and vegetables provided to munch on.

UNAPOLOGETICALLY PROUD
This year’s Pride Week will be going out with a bang with the Unapologetic Carnival on Saturday from 12-3 p.m. in People’s Park. There will be food, prizes, entertainment and a variety of booths including but not limited to a Polaroid/consent kissing booth and trans clothing swap. Highlights so far from this year’s Pride Week include visits from Jen Ruggirello and Niki Ang from BuzzFeed, a performance by Fratelli and a body-positive pool party.

LU’AU
Student organization Iaorana Te Otea will be hosting its annual lu’au this Saturday in Anisq’Oyo’ Park from 12-2 p.m. Iaorana Te Otea is a dance group on campus that mainly performs Polynesian dances such as the hula and ote’a. On Saturday, there will be a hula performance at 1 p.m. preceded by a potluck to be catered by L&L Hawaiian Barbecue. Food will be $7. Various campus organizations will also be hosting activity tables where students can get henna tattoos and make paper leis.

EASTER’S EVE SHOW
For the live music fans out there, Grant Chesin, an indie pop singer-songwriter duo, will be hosting an Easter’s Eve show this Saturday night at 10 p.m. at 6750 Sabado Tarde Unit A. Not only will they be playing music, but they also will be telling “bad jokes” in between.

MEATLESS SUNDAY
A local group called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday in Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Café). Food Not Bombs is a large organization that spans the country and is a form of “franchise activism.” They believe that corporate and government priorities are skewed and allow hunger despite the abundance of food and food waste. Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. The dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

REEL LOUD
In anticipation of the Reel Loud silent film festival in May, the Isla Vista Food Co-op will be screening films from last year’s festival next Wednesday at 8 p.m. Free snacks will be provided. For those who don’t know, Reel Loud is a UCSB film festival that allows filmmakers, artists, musicians and other performers to display their work in Campbell Hall. The festival only goes for one night, and it consists mostly of silent films accompanied by live music. However, there are also musical guests and performances between screenings that range anywhere from dance and a capella performances to stand-up comedy.

A version of this story appeared on p. 3 of the Thursday, April 13, 2017 print issue of the Daily Nexus.