STATE OF THE UNION
The next Isla Vista Community Network meeting will be held Thursday at the I.V. Clinic Building. The meeting will run from 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m., and lunch will be provided. Stakeholders involved in I.V. — heads of local nonprofit organizations, volunteers, long-term residents, students, county representatives and Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers — will update one another on the status of their respective groups as they relate to the community. I.V. Community Network meetings are regularly held on the second Thursday of every month.

DESSERT DAY
For those wondering where you can get your hamantaschen fix, look no further than Friendship Manor. Hamantaschen is a triangular cookie or pastry filled with nearly anything, from jellies to cheese to Nutella. This treat is traditionally associated with the Jewish holiday of Purim. The Santa Barbara Hillel invites community members to the Hillel to make hamantaschen with the elderly living at Friendship Manor on Thursday from 2-3:30 p.m. Those interested are urged to RSVP on the Santa Barbara Hillel Facebook page and will receive community service hours.

NEW COLORS
UCSB students in the Urban Arts Workshop will unveil a mural from 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday at 6696 Del Playa Drive. The student painters have worked on the mural under artist Gabriel Cardenas since Fall Quarter and will be discussing the process of creating the mural, as well as the impacts murals have in the Isla Vista community. Local businesses will provide food and drinks, and all community members are welcome.

’ZINE SCENE
The Catalyst literary magazine will host its quarterly launch party at 6 p.m. on Thursday at Coffee Collaborative. Organizers will be handing out free copies of the magazine’s 10th issue, which includes the prose, poetry and art submissions of UCSB students. Authors will be reading aloud their poetry alongside performances from spoken word artists and local band The Real Savage Henry.

MEMORIAL GARDEN
IVRPD is having a volunteer work day starting at 2 p.m. Friday for upkeep at the Isla Vista Love and Remembrance Garden at People’s Park. The memorial garden was created to celebrate the lives of those lost in the May 23, 2014 shooting. Tools are supplied, but IVRPD officials ask that volunteers bring their own gloves. Pizza will also be provided.

MEATLESS SUNDAY
A local organization called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday in Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Cafe). Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. The dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

DEAD WEEK DIY
A.S. Program Board understands the necessity of coffee as Dead Week rolls around. The organization will be hosting a mug decorating do-it-yourself session from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Pardall Center. The event will include free snacks, scantrons and mugs. Pro tip: you can study at the same time if you try painting your mug with elements from the periodic table or key terms from your study guide.

A version of this story appeared on p. 3 of the Thursday, March 9, print edition of the Daily Nexus.