OPEN MIC
KCSB will be hosting an open mic at Giovanni’s in Isla Vista on Thursday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. The event coordinators recommend that performers email promotion@kcsb.org with the details of their performance. Walk-ins are also welcome and are encouraged to sign up at the event.

LAUGH OUT LOUD
Improvability will be hosting their improv comedy show Friday at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. in Embarcadero Hall. Tickets are $3 for the 8 p.m. show and $2 for the 10 p.m. Attendees from the 8 p.m. show can stay for the later show for no charge. The doors will open at 7:45 p.m.

TO SPEAK FOR THE TREES
Your Children’s Trees will be maintaining a coastal oak forest at Coal Oil Point Reserve from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday. Organizers advise that interested volunteers bring water and wear closed toe shoes and long pants. Biking to the reserve is also recommended.

HANG TEN
The I.V. Surfrider foundation is hosting its first-ever surf competition at Dreamies, the reef break to the right of Dog Shit Park, on Saturday from 11 a.m to 6 p.m. Proceeds from the event will go toward I.V. Surfrider’s purchase of reusable cups, and donations will go to the Rainforest Action Network to benefit their Climate Action Fund. Those interested in donating can message I.V. Surfrider on their Facebook page or come to Saturday’s event.

FOOD FOR FREEDOM
The Food for Freedom Fair, hosted by the UC Sustain Our Students, will be held at Anisq’Oyo’ Park Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. Attendees can enjoy food provided by Associated Students Food Bank and the Isla Vista Co-op, watch performances from student artists and listen to speeches about food justice research. Food will be distributed from noon to 3 p.m.

SKETCHY JOKES
Sketch ‘N’ Sniff will be hosting a free improv comedy show on Sunday from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Theatre and Dance 1701. The show’s theme will be shorts. They welcome audience members to attend in shorts.

TWIST AND SHOUT
BFOM will be hosting their a cappella winter concert this Saturday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at I.V. Theater. Tickets are $5 at the door and half of the proceeds will go to Camp Kesem, a free summer camp program for children whose parents have been affected by cancer.

YOGA
The Isla Vista Food Co-op is hosting a “Beach Brunch Yoga” session on Sunday morning, a free class led by Better Days Yoga with free brunch afterward. Organizers ask that participants first meet on the I.V. Food Co-op patio at 10:45 a.m. and then walk over to 6575 Seville Rd. Those interested must bring a mat or towel and must sign an event waiver. Free brunch is only for those who participate in the yoga session.

VEGAN
A local group called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. on Sunday in Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Café). Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. This dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

FREE FOOD
As part of its Gaucho Food Program, IVTU and the I.V. Food Co-op will be tabling outside the Pardall Center on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to give away free food to UCSB students. This food giveaway is regularly held every Wednesday.

A version of this story appeared on p. 3 of the Feb. 23, 2017, edition of the Daily Nexus.