For lots of you, it may be hard to believe that it’s officially fall. Despite being early October, some days it can still be up to 80 degrees outside. So, to help ease you into a more autumnal mood, here’s 12 cozy, folk-influenced songs.

1. “Don’t Panic” by Coldplay

This is an indie-rock classic (read: Coldplay before mainstream fame) that has obvious fall undertones. The first line of the song illustrates “bones sinking like stones.” HALLOWEEN, anyone?

1. “September” by the The Shins

It’s not quite September anymore, but that’s just the title (not once does the song actually mention the month). The muted guitars and the psychedelic feeling of the background vocals can make the transition from late summer easier.

1. “We’re Going To Be Friends” by The White Stripes

“Fall is here, hear the yell,” Jack White sings, but the story he tells is quiet and understated. White’s guitar plucking and sweet vocals about a schoolchild’s first crush will easily take anyone back to their days of walking through the playground.

1. “Thirteen” by Big Star

Here’s another ode to being in love with a schoolmate. However, the kids are a little older and a little cooler this time.

1. “Say Yes” by Elliott Smith

“I’m in love with the world,” Elliott Smith sings in this sweet love song. As the leaves turn colors and the weather grows colder, you will be too.

1. “You and I” by Wilco

This is a simple, sweet track about getting to know the person you love. The juxtaposition of both a male and female voice creates an unmistakably sincere feeling.

1. “Mushaboom” by Feist

Fiest’s breathy, light vocals accompanied by acoustic guitar and warm hand claps are the sonic equivalent of this season. It’s hard not to have fun listening to this song.

1. “Bad Blood” by Ryan Adams

For those of you whose tastes lie on the more pop side (but still want to be cool), this is the fall song for you. It comes from a new album by Ryan Adams covering the entirety of Taylor Swift’s 1989. He takes the pop hit and turns it into a chilly, acoustic ballad. Also, “blood” can definitely be another Halloween reference.

1. “First Day Of My Life” by Bright Eyes

Fall is a time of many firsts, like the first day of school and the first leaves falling from trees. But for some, it will be the first time they fall in love, which this song captures perfectly.

1. “Falling In Love At A Coffee Shop” by Landon Pigg

In a flawlessly soundtracked rom-com, this song would play as the protagonist stares longingly at his dream girl. She would be sipping her pumpkin spice latte at the other side of the coffee shop, completely unaware. Just like fall itself, this song is sweet, but still slightly unsure.

1. “Simple As This” by Jake Bugg

Jake Bugg captures a more melancholy side of fall, relating feelings that everyone experiences when they are unsure. However, the chorus comes to a resolution: “Oh and the answer well who would have guessed/Could be something as simple as this.” His view that everything in life that confuses us is actually quite simple is comforting.

1. “Harvest Moon” by Neil Young

To cap things off, here’s a different type of classic. This is for the late hours of autumn days, when you’re in your room thinking about someone special. Neil Young’s beautiful harmonies, bright guitars and harmonica solos will make you want to dance with them underneath the “harvest moon.”

Zoe Jones
Zoë has been an Artsweek Editor since the 2016-17 school year and enjoys it much more than she lets on. In her free time, she enjoys reading Pitchfork and drinking chai lattes with almond milk (because, of course).