Isla Vista Foot Patrol (IVFP) officers responded to numerous calls in I.V. last weekend, citing under-aged students for possession of cocaine, taking custody of three legally registered firearms for safekeeping and answering calls related to battery, public intoxication, driving under the influence and prowling.

Units were dispatched to the 6500 block of Sabado Tarde Road Monday night to respond to a noise complaint made by student Michael B regarding his roommate. Seconds after units cleared the call, the roommate flagged down the IVFP officers in the street and stated that Michael B was brandishing a knife. After investigation, Michael B was arrested on a citizen’s arrest for brandishing a weapon and battery.

During the course of the investigation, officers also learned Michael B had two legally registered rifles, a modified AK-47 and a Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun in the house, which Michael B agreed to turn over to the officers for safekeeping. In addition, the roommate agreed to turn over his gas pistol to the officers for safekeeping.

According to IVFP Lieutenant Rob Plastino, the AK-47 had been professionally modified to fit legal California firearm standards and not function as an assault rifle, which has been prohibited in California since the 1989 approval of the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act.

“The most important thing is that it fires single rounds at a time instead of automatic,” Plastino said. “It still fires a 7.62mm round, which is still the standard size round for an AK-47.”

According to Plastino, because Michael B did not use the firearms in any act of violence nor give any indication that he would, he was not legally required to relinquish possession of his guns, although Plastino believes Michael B was correct to do so.

“In my opinion, the guy made a good decision,” Plastino said. “He made a thoughtful decision in allowing us to take his weapons from him because he didn’t have to. He committed a sort of violent crime, brandishing a knife, so he needs to cool off and calm down before we’ll return his weapons to him.”

On Friday, law enforcement officers pulled over a vehicle with four juveniles and one adult inside during a routine traffic stop because the headlights were turned off while the car was in motion. The driver, a juvenile, was under the influence of alcohol, while two more passengers were intoxicated with alcohol and marijuana with the other two passengers in possession of cocaine. All subjects were cited and their parents called to pick them up. The legal adult, 18-year-old Michael Davis, was booked into Santa Barbara County Jail for possession of dangerous drugs.

Later on Friday night, at approximately 11:00 p.m., a female was approached and verbally assaulted by her ex-boyfriend, Carrington Cox, outside of 7-11. When the victim’s current boyfriend stepped in to intervene, a shoving match ensued, at which point Cox struck the victim’s current boyfriend in the face with a skateboard. Cox then broke free of the scuffle and ran towards his ex-girlfriend, stomping on her left leg and fleeing south on El Embarcadero. The female victim sustained a fractured tibia and extensive knee injuries.

On Saturday night, the Delta Gamma sorority requested extra patrol in light of the social media shooting rumors, during which officers noticed Santa Barbara City College student Joshua McKenzie Smith at an upstairs, outside door of the sorority house. Plastino said Smith tried the door to see if it would open and claimed to be trying to find the residence of his friend, Tom. He was then arrested for public intoxication and prowling.

IVFP officers also noted that on Sunday there were more crowds out than a usual due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday on Monday, during which there were miscellaneous alcohol and noise ordinance citations issued.