This Friday, the UCSB men’s and women’s swimming teams will host a duel meet against visiting Wyoming University.

Coming into the competition, the men’s team stands with a record of 2-1 overall and the women’s team holds a record of 3-1.

“This week is going to be a real test,” Head Coach Gregg Wilson explained. “This is great team coming in and we have to get ready for an even bigger test that is right around the corner.”

The test that Wilson speaks of is the upcoming three-day competition in Los Angeles known as the Arena Invitational. The Gauchos will need to recuperate following this Friday’s contest to be able to fully participate in a strenuous weekend of events. They will have to deal with the Cowboys first though, who have started the season hot.

In its home opener last week against New Mexico State, the Wyoming women’s team set a new team pool record for the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:47.53. This time shattered the previous pool record by almost five whole seconds.

This dominance did not stop at relays as they took first place in 12 of the 13 events, which pushed them to a wide margined victory of 150-88. In their earlier meet with Colorado State, they took first in 15 of 16 events to capture a 183-110. The women will put their undefeated record on the line when they enter Santa Barbara this Friday.

Along with their female counterparts, the Cowboys have had an excellent season as well. In an unscored meeting with a then-ranked Denver team, six Cowboys took first place in nine different events. This team is proficient in all aspects and could find a soft spot in the Gauchos roster to exploit, such as their lack of divers. The Wyoming men will bring along four divers with them to add points, while the Gauchos do not have one to compete.

On the Santa Barbara side, some of the usual suspects can be expected to be seen making moves for the Gauchos. Seniors Andrew Barmann and Wade Allen are coming off of a very successful meet last Friday against UCSD. Distance swimmer Barmann took first in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:34.35 and sprinter Allen capitalized in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 20.99. For the women, senior Heren Alanis is also coming off a great performance where she took gold in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:53.70.

The meet is set to start at 1:00 p.m. at Campus Pool.