NFL-logo1What’s up my Islanders? It has been quite sometime since we last spoke, but I am back and ready for Fantasy Business in a whole new genre: football. Lets put Peyton to the side for once in his life and check out all the potential adds that a team needs halfway through the season, as well as those busts that need to find an end to theirs.

Tre Mason, Running Back

Besides the fact that the St. Louis Rams crashed the seemingly unsinkable ship that is the Super Bowl Champion Seahawks with some help from the dirtiest punt return that I’ve ever seen live, we have to look to the new distribution of carries. Former starter Zac Stacy, whom I will not draft again, received ZERO carries for the Rams Sunday after five straight weeks of sub-70 yard performances and just one touchdown.

Needless to say, any starter who is completely healthy and doesn’t receive a single touch in a winning effort is on his decline within that organization. In his absence, Tre Mason stole the show and was able to perform. Mason earned himself 85 yards and a TD off of just 18 carries, which works out to a 4.7 yards per carry average. Even in his limited performance last week, when he received just five carries, he achieved an astounding 8 yards per carry average. This Auburn kid is efficient and he has also been targeted for some passes giving him versatility.

Now, don’t take this advice as the savior of your season. We haven’t seen a consistent back in St. Louis since the real days of Steven Jackson but if you are hurting at the back, need a filler for a bye week, or you accidentally drafted Stacy, then this is the man for you. Both backs from Buffalo seem to be out for a bit, Darren Sproles is taking a break, and A.P. as well as Rice have made their owners appear extinct so there is no harm in trying out the new rusher with the most potential. He is only owned in 17 percent of Yahoo leagues but that will change quickly. Act Fast!

Dwayne Allen, Tight End

This position is always a tricky one due to the fact that there are a few favorites such as Jimmy Graham and Gronk that everybody wants, and then nobody cares to look into the rest. Some of them are only used to block and some only come into the game on certain packages so you have to play it smart. When you don’t come up with Graham, Gronk, or Olsen, try to look into the QB’s of a team. Take Andrew Luck for instance. I know he is a classic style quarterback and looking at his Stanford years I learned that he, like Peyton before him, is a lover of the tight end position.

Based off that information I took TE Dwayne Allen as my very last pick in the draft to be me starting tight end. I drafted him without expectation as he has been projected for no more than three fantasy points each week, but he has crushed those projections all season. He is targeted more than five times every game and has reeled in three to six of those targets on average. On those receptions, he has four games over 50 yards and has caught five touchdowns on the season. That’s more receiving touchdowns than Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Dez Bryant and Julio Jones.

Allen isn’t an exceptional athlete or a massive force. He is simply your average tight end with an outstanding quarterback that loves to give him the ball, especially in the red zone. Allen owned in only 67 percent of Yahoo leagues and I am positive that he has more points and potential than one of two of the tight ends that you currently have on your roster. I know this because only Julius Thomas and Antonio Gates have more touchdowns for tight ends and guess what?! They both have tight end-loving quarterbacks throwing to them too.

If Dwayne Allen is taking in your league, do a little research. Tony Romo is another lover of tight ends and he has a new favorite this year in Gavin Escobar. Romo found Escobar for 65 yards and two touchdowns this week in the win over the Giants, which are higher amounts of yards and scores than Jason Witten has had all season long.

The one piece of advice that I will leave you with this week is to think about fantasy football as a game and not a race. Don’t pick up a player because he scored the winning touchdown of a game and don’t exclude a player just because he plays for the Jags or Jets. Look at whom your players are up against. Consider their play styles and manage. You have an objective: score points. Figure out the way in which you can best do that and be confident with your lineup.

Until next time my beautiful Islanders, enjoy this week’s matchups and let’s hope that February doesn’t come for a long, long time.

This story is a Daily Nexus online exclusive.