The University Center, Associated Students Program Board and Ice Skating Club are teaming up to host the first annual UCensation springtime concert and festival at the Lagoon Lawn.

The free event will kick off at noon and will feature a live performance by Isla Vista-based funk band The Fire Department, along with various games, activities and food. The festival will continue until 3 p.m., featuring more live musical performances by DJ T-Fresh and DJ Erah. The event will also include ice blocking, tortilla Frisbee and inflatable soccer games with prizes, chalk art, free airbrush tattoos and a photo booth, in addition to BBQ burgers and hot links for $2. There will also be free samples of Santa Barbara Bar, Dirty Chips and Vitamin Water and giveaways.

Brian Nguyen, chair of the UCen Governance Board and a third-year economics and accounting major, said UCensation acts to celebrate students and their work over the course of the school year. Nguyen said the event’s concert will offer attendees an entertaining start to the Memorial Day weekend while still providing more than enjoyable live music.

“The event is not on the same budget as Extravaganza, so it’s not fair to compare the two. It has more of a Wordstock or Chilla Vista feel to it, with all the local bands performing,” Nguyen said. “But, I secretly think that ours is going to be better because of all the activities we have planned.”

According to Jill Singletary, Hub Manager at the UCen, the chalk art competition acts as a major part of the festival and involves various groups within the MultiCultural Center, who will showcase and possibly win awards for their creative chalk drawings.

“It is a take on ‘I Madonnari,’ a street painting competition that takes place every Memorial Day weekend at the mission in downtown Santa Barbara,” Singletary said. “It’s a way to celebrate all the creativity on campus.”

UCen and Events Center Administration Interim Director Gary Lawrence said the event fosters a sense of community within UCSB, as the Bookstore, UCen Catering, the Hub and various other campus organizations all contribute to the preparation of the event.

Lawrence said the UCen administration sought to collaborate with the Ice Skating Club, for example, due to their ice blocking event’s success during the year.

“The Ice Skating Club hosts a biannual ice blocking event on the Lagoon Lawn, right outside of the UCen, twice a year, and students really seem to enjoy themselves,” Lawrence said. “We wanted to partner with them in order to take advantage of their skills and organization.”

According to Nguyen, the event will highlight the best of what the UCen has to offer to students.

“We want to show that the UCen can be a fun place to go, increase foot traffic and draw attention,” Nguyen said. “And what better way to draw people in than a chill, springtime party on the lagoon with free food and fun activities?”

A version of this article appeared on page 4 of May 23rd’s print edition of the Daily Nexus.