Shannon Ham

Staff Writer

UCSB First Committee is hosting their second annual Black Leaders Summit event today from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Mosher Alumni House.

UCSB First is a volunteer student organization sponsored by the Alumni Association geared toward encouraging campus philanthropy through events, initiatives and marketing campaigns. Today’s event will feature a panel of four black alumni speakers of various educational backgrounds and careers to discuss the importance of community projects and a dedication to community needs.

According to UCSB First Co-Chair and third-year economics and communication double major Casey McCulloh, the goal of the event is to not only allow black leaders to connect with similar leaders on campus but also have other campus organizations network with the panel speakers and promote their groups.

“We decided it was important to engage certain leaders on campus,” McCulloh said. “We wanted to put on the Leaders Summit to award them and recognize the time and effort they put into their minority organizations.”

Dayquan Julienne, a second-year electrical engineering major, said the event will give students the opportunity to ask panelists about their experiences in the working world and can be a rewarding experience for both parties.

“I feel that communicating with black leaders will allow students to get better perspective and insight on issues within those communities,” Julienne said.

McCulloh, who works with the Annual Fund, coordinates the event with UCSB First Co-Chair and fourth-year communication major Justine Pointer, who works with the Alumni Association. According to McCulloh, the Co-Chairs have a layered job description.

“Our yearly task is two-fold,” McColluh said. “We plan the Senior Class Gift Campaign, and we also aim to engage students in philanthropy and educate them about the importance of giving back to the university.”

This year’s Senior Class gift was chosen by Associated Students President Sophia Armen, who worked closely with Pointer and McCulloh. Half the gift will provide scholarships for students in need through the Alumni Association Scholarship Fund. The other half will provide grants for applicants through the Community Financial Fund.

UCSB First will continue to host free events next quarter including the UCSB First Recognition Dinner and Senior Breakfast. Admittance for today’s event is also free for students and a catered dinner will be provided.

To RSVP for the event, register at ucsb.imodules.com/leadership or contact justine.pointer@ia.ucsb.edu for any questions.

A version of this article appeared on page 3 of March 7th, 2013’s print edition of the Nexus