UCSB was recently ranked number 14 on the Kiplinger’s Personal Finance 2012-13 list of the top 100 public colleges and universities offering exemplary educations for the best economic value.

This year’s rank marks a three-spot increase from last year’s ranking of number 17. Other UC campuses such as UCLA and UC Berkeley were also ranked near the top of the list, which is available in Kiplinger’s February 2013 issue of annual public school rankings and online at www.kiplinger.com/links/college.

UCSB Chancellor Henry T. Yang said the university’s placement on the list reflects its commitment to providing a high-quality educational experience well worth the tuition dollars.

“Teaching and mentoring students is our highest priority,” Yang said in a press release. “As valued members of our vibrant academic community, our students study with award-winning professors, engage in original undergraduate research, and participate in cutting-edge intellectual activity that spans the disciplines. We understand what an important investment this is for our students and families.”

In order to create the list, Kiplinger’s begins with data provided by Peterson’s college guide on roughly 600 public schools before narrowing their scope down to the top 130 based on standard measures of academic quality. The publication then uses a set criteria based on various academic and financial factors to rank the schools, with in-state and out-of-state cost and financial aid accounting for 35 percent of the assigned ranking and average student debt at graduation weighing in at 10 percent. 22.5 percent of the ranking is designated for schools’ competitiveness of SAT or ACT scores, while four-year graduation rates make up 18.75 percent and student-faculty ratio accounts for 13.75 percent.

A version of this article appeared on page 1 of January 8th, 2013’s print edition of the Nexus.