Santa Barbara County’s Back Door Deli is hosting a free Food Day celebration from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today on 315 Camino Del Remedio. The event is part of a national campaign on healthy eating and sustainable agriculture funded by the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

The effort seeks to combat obesity and disease and to inform people about the impact our agriculture practices system has on the environment. According to Food Day’s website, the celebration promotes sustainable, nutritious and affordable eating and seeks to organize a unified, national movement for healthier eating.

Santa Barbara Food Bank Agency Relations Manager Jamie Nichols, who will be tabling at the event, said the day will educate people about what nutritional choices will best serve their lifestyles.

“Food is medicine and that is something we want to educate the public about,” Nichols said. “We want to take down every possible barrier there is between people and access to healthy food.”

Food Day aims to encourage safer, healthier diets, reduce hunger, reform factory farms, support sustainable farms and promote fair working conditions for farmers and food workers.

Sponsored by the nonprofit Community Action Commission and the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, the celebration will showcase local farmers and chefs, who will put on food demonstrations and provide free samples. There will also be an array of activities such as garden tours, raffles and a composting demonstration which are meant to encourage event-goers to rethink their nutritional choices and learn how to incorporate sustainable meals into their lives.

All proceeds from CAC’s Back Door Deli will go toward CAC’s Healthy Senior Lunch program, which offers healthy foods to low-income seniors via community centers or home delivery.