British periodical Times Higher Education ranked UCSB as 35th of the 200 top universities in the world and 17th of all universities that provide degrees in engineering and technology.

The rankings are based on a world survey encompassing tens of thousands of academics who participate in the yearly Academic Reputation Survey. In addition, the list was compiled using a method that takes into account data gathered with the information-gathering service Thomson Reuters.

According to Phil Baty, editor of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2012-13, the United States remains the leading nation for institutions of higher education.

“Overall, the U.S. continues to dominate the rankings, with seven of the top 10 places and a total of 76 institutions in the top 200 –– one more than last year and 45 more than any other nation,” Baty said in a press release.

According to the Times Higher Education website, scores are measured by the number of times a school is selected as the best in their field of expertise. The nominations are then calculated as a percentage in comparison to the top school.

UCSB’s sum score was 75.6, but notably scored 99.4 in the field of citation impact and a 100 in industry income.

The full list can be seen at www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/.