The results of the California’s June 5 primary elections revealed victories for many local Democratic candidates as well as a number of “close contests” which will consequentially be decided in a November runoff election.

Among the election’s victors were incumbent 3rd District Supervisor Doreen Farr, 37th District Assemblyman Das Williams, 4th District Supervisor Joni Gray and 1st District Supervisor Salud Carbajal. Due to close margins of victory, Lois Capps and Abel Maldonado will face off again in November for the 24th Congressional District Representative seat, as will top 19th District Senatorial candidates Mike Stoker and Hannah-Beth Jackson.

Local school district measures W and X, which proposed generating $16 million over the next four years for the district’s public schools, were both narrowly defeated. In addition, voters blocked Measure Y and halted the proposed construction of a bridge over the public Arroyo Burro Creek for the sake of a luxury home development.

After months of campaigning, incumbent Doreen Farr defeated local business owner Steve Pappas in the race for Santa Barbara County 3rd District Supervisor. Farr’s platform highlighted her vote against the Social Host Ordinance in Isla Vista, her successful reform of the county eviction ordinance with the Tenant’s Rights Union and her advocacy for campus voting rights.

Democratic candidate Lois Capps won 46.5 percent of the vote to regain her current seat as the 24th Congressional District representative and while Republican Chris Mitchum has been effectively eliminated from the race, Capps will face off against Republican Abel Maldonado in November as a result of close contest. Capps has maintained her position as 23rd District representative for 14 years.

While Republican candidate Mike Stoker garnered the most votes in the race for the seat of 19th District Senator — a region encompassing Santa Barbara County and northern Ventura County — against Democratic candidates Hannah-Beth Jackson and Jason Hodge, Stoker will have to square off against Jackson again in November. Falling just short of the required 50 percent of the votes to close the race in June, Stoker earned 45.3 percent of the vote against Jackson’s 41.2 percent, with Jason Hodge ranked third with just 13.5 percent.

Incumbent Das Williams won the seat for 37th Assembly District, retaining his representation of the southern half of Santa Barbara County as well as areas of Oxnard and Ventura County. The Isla Vista native, whose platform advocated against educational budget cuts, led with 55.9 percent against Walter’s 44.1 percent.

Salud Carbajal ran unopposed for 1st District County Supervisor, representing areas of Montecito and Eastside Santa Barbara neighborhoods. Carbajal champions a number of environmental causes, advocating against pesticide use and offshore drilling in Santa Barbara County.

Joni Gray took the seat for 4th District supervisor against opponents Peter Adam and Joyce Howerton. Gray led with 39.74 percent followed by Adams’ 37.69 percent and Howerton’s 22.43 percent.

Proposition 28, which limits legislators’ terms in office, passed with a total of 61.4 percent. Proposition 29, the tax on cigarettes for cancer research, failed to pass with a majority vote of 50.8 percent.

— Staff Report