Community members and students will participate in the 10th-annual UCSB Relay for Life today to raise funds for cancer research and support people diagnosed with the illness.

The event, hosted by the UCSB Relay for Life Committee, will begin at noon and last 24 hours, kicking off with a Survivor’s Lap honoring cancer survivors. The Luminaria Ceremony will light up the track at 8:30 p.m. in memorial of those who have passed and participants can enjoy free food alongside yoga, dance performances and live music.

Proceeds will go toward the American Cancer Society’s ongoing efforts funding cancer research as well as education, advocacy and services for the illness.

According to American Cancer Society Relay Manager Lindsay Lockshaw, teams have raised about $60,000 so far, meeting the midpoint of this year’s goal of $107,000.

Lockshaw said participants can make a large impact regardless of their funding goals.

UCSB Relay for Life Committee Online Chair and Food Co-chair Roselie Tran, a fourth-year psychology major, said the event provides a unique opportunity for the community to work toward a common goal.

“It’s a great event because there’s not many events when everyone comes together for one cause,” Tran said. “It’s fun how I met so many people in the community.”

Fourth-year sociology, education and Chicano studies major Leonardo Ayala said he will act as a team captain for his sixth Relay for Life this year. Ayala said the sense of camaraderie developed through the marathon is one of its key aspects.

“It brings together every aspect of the UCSB community,” Ayala said. “You get to see a diverse community, people you normally wouldn’t see.”

Lockshaw said the event allows attendees to supports cancer victims, whether they are loved ones or strangers.

“Everybody has their own reasons for walking,” Lockshaw said. “You may not know anybody now, but you never want to hear the words, ‘You have cancer.’”