UC General Counsel Charles Robinson and UC Berkeley Law School Dean Christopher Edley will release the results of the system-wide investigation into police protocol for handling protesters during a news briefing today at the UC Office of the President in Oakland.

UC President Mark Yudof commissioned the review and several other investigations in response to the negative public reaction toward police violence at the Davis and Berkeley campuses last November. The report is scheduled for online release at 9 a.m. and the press conference will follow at 11 a.m.

The investigation focused on system-wide policies for university police and aimed to consolidate the procedures into one body across campuses. According to a UCOP press release, the review’s primary purpose is to analyze necessary improvements in campus police departments.

Robinson said the review will provide a comprehensive look into policing practices at all UC satellites.

“Regarding the review by Dean Edley and me, we intend to conduct an extensive study into how the existing policies on use of force and protests are understood and actually applied on our campuses,” Robinson said in a press release. “We will interview students, faculty, staff, and administrators, and will also look beyond the UC system to learn about the approaches adopted by other universities and law enforcement agencies. We will solicit the views of academics, experts on law enforcement and others.”

— Staff Report