UCSB’s Economic Forecast Project is hosting its 31st annual Santa Barbara County Economic Summit today in the Granada Theatre, featuring award-winning journalist Gillian Tett and three Federal Reserve Bank presidents.

The summit will discuss the fiscal issues local industries and households face as well as national financial trends and projections. The Economic Forecast Project is a campus program that analyzes trends and makes predictions regarding the Central Coast’s financial climate to assist local businesses and municipalities.

Tett, the event’s keynote speaker, is managing editor for the Financial Times and is credited as the first mainstream journalist to cover the credit crunch. Her “From the Great Moderation to the Great Instability” lecture will explore capital markets’ role in the global financial crisis.

The conference will begin at 8:15 a.m. with Economics Department Chair and Project Director Peter C. Rupert’s presentation about local economic issues and the project’s activities in the past year.

Additional speakers include Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Dennis Lockhart, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia President Charles Plosser and Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco President John Williams.