This Valentine’s Day, smooching your special someone could help benefit a child with cancer.

The “Kisses for Cancer” competition, hosted by local author Leon Scott Baxter and financial expert Tim Tremblay, will attempt to find two amorous individuals to break the Guinness World record for speed kissing, or the most kisses landed by a couple in one minute. The current Guinness World Record for most kisses by a pair in one minute is 117, so prospective peckers — who must be 18 or older — will need to kiss close to twice per second to gain the title.

Couples wishing to enter the contest must attend a preliminary test-trial this Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Ramada Limited hotel on Calle Real. The event’s $10 entrance fee will be donated in full to local pediatric cancer research charity “Kidz for a Cure.”

The top three couples from the preliminary event will compete on Feb. 14 at 9 a.m. at the Tremblay Financial Services office on State Street, though couples can earn a spot on Baxter’s VIP list by emailing him at leon@couplescommittedtolove.com. Pecks don’t have to land on the lips, but must be placed on the face. Kisses may be doled out simultaneously or rewarded only from one participant to the other, and lips must leave the face completely before contacting the target again for the smooches to count.

The winning couple will have a shot at the Guinness World Record and receive a romantic getaway for two while the runners-up will receive signed copies of Baxter’s latest book, The Finance of Romance. All proceeds of the contest will go toward “Kidz for a Cure.”

—Staff Report