UCSB offered admission to 22,386 of nearly 50,000 applicants — its largest pool ever — for Fall 2011.

The university accepted 46 percent of prospective freshmen applicants and plans to enroll about 3,900 students next Fall. This year’s admitted students boast a mean GPA of 4.08 and an average SATR score of 1908 out of 2400.

Additionally, 3,384 prospective freshmen were placed on UCSB’s waitlist and will be notified of their admission status in May. The university also plans to enroll roughly 1,500 of its 14,288 transfer student applicants, an increase of nearly 2,000 applicants from Fall 2010. Transfer decisions will be released later this month.

Over 54 percent of this year’s admitted UCSB applicants identify with ethnic or racial minority groups, compared to 52.6 percent in 2010.

Of its California resident applicants, the UC system accepted 3 percent more prospective students from ethnic and racial minority groups this year.

Systemwide, the UC received a total of 142,235 applicants, composed of 72,432 freshmen and 36,165 transfer students. As of press time, 72,432 prospective students have been granted admission, an increase of 4,100 students from last year.

The UC system accepted 59,288 in-state applicants (roughly 500 more than last year), accounting for 81 percent of all admitted students.

In addition, 18 percent of all admitted applicants were non-California residents, up from 14 percent in 2010. Nonresident students pay about $23,000 more in tuition than California residents. Almost 37 percent of accepted freshmen are from low-income backgrounds.

UC Interim Director of Undergraduate Admissions Pamela Burnett said decreased funding from the state forced the UC to implement new revenue-generating measures like increasing the number of nonresident students.

“The reality is UC does not have a capacity problem,” Burnett said in a press release. “It has a funding problem. If the state provided adequate funding for enrollment growth, there is no doubt that even our most selective campuses would accept more California residents.”