Today marks the beginning of UCSB’s seventh annual Graduate Student Appreciation Week.

The university will host activities to honor graduate students, such as a lecture from Engineer Jean-luc Doumont of the Louvain School of Engineering today at 2 p.m. in Corwin Pavilion. A wine-and-cheese mixer in Davidson Library’s Mary Cheadle Room will follow Doumont’s talk.

An ice cream social and dance-off will be held tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. in the Student Resource Building. Additionally, a graduate student picnic is organized for April 20 at 5:30 p.m. in the San Clemente Village.

Kerry Ann Rockquemore from the University of Illinois, Chicago will discuss how students can receive tenure while balancing work and a social life on April 21 at 3 p.m. in the MultiCultural Center. The week will conclude with a graduate student beach picnic from 3 to 5 p.m. at Goleta Beach followed by a ’50s-themed dance at 10 p.m. in Santa Barbara’s Fess Parker Doubletree Hotel.

Walter Boggan, graduate division director of admissions and outreach, said planning and organizing the events required a collaborative effort between the Office of the Chancellor, Office of the Executive Chancellor, Division of Student Affairs, MCC and Graduate Student Association.

Boggan said the events are intended to commend graduate students for contributing to the university through research and teaching assistance.

“It’s highly essential to commemorate the worthy contributions they’ve made,” Boggan said. “It’s with great pleasure that we celebrate the graduate students that are our future leaders.”

To view a complete calendar of appreciation week events, visit http://gradpost.ucsb.edu/headlines/tag/graduate-student-appreciation-week.