Baseball: Haddow Named Big West Player of the Week

After driving in six runs in two wins, senior right fielder Mark Haddow earned Big West Player of the Week honors after going 6-16 with two doubles and a home run last week. Against USC last Tuesday, he tied a career high after driving in four runs.

Haddow leads the team in runs scored (16), and is tied for the lead in RBI (15) and home runs (2).

UCSB faces Loyola Marymount on the road tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. The team returns home this Friday to face San Jose State in a three-game series. Conference play begins against Cal Poly at Caesar Uyesaka Stadium on April 8.

Women’s Water Polo: #14 UCSB Hosts Final Three Home Games of Regular Season

The #14 UCSB women’s water polo team plays Brown today at 4 p.m. before facing off against Pacific on April 2 and UC Davis on April 3 in its last three home matches of the season.

At 16-8 overall, the Gauchos have won four consecutive matches and six of their last seven. Senior center Kristin Kulakowski has led UCSB in goals scored in four of the team’s last seven matches. She scored four in a 16-8 win over Cal State San Bernardino in the Gauchos’ last game on March 20.

After this week’s matches, UCSB will play four more — three against Big West foes — before hosting the Big West Tournament from April 29 to May 1.

Men’s Water Polo: Wigo Claims 2011 Recruiting Class “Likely the Best Since the 1970s”

Head men’s water polo coach Wolf Wigo told Gaucho Athletics last week that the recruits for the 2011 season represent “far and away the best recruiting class that we have had at UCSB since I have been coaching here and likely the best since the 1970s.”

Wigo hopes that the group, which includes the younger brother of current Gaucho player Brian Shoemaker and the cousin of UCSB water polo alumnus Kendall Olds, could lead the Gauchos to the NCAA Championships.

This season, UCSB took sixth place at the MPSF Tournament.

—Staff Report