Students were evacuated from UCSB’s Davidson Library around 12:30 p.m. yesterday after a smoke detector went off in the building.

Deputy Fire Marshal Joe Harkins confirmed that there was no fire in the building and said the alarms were triggered accidentally. Fire Dept. personnel will replace the possibly faulty alarm on the north side of the library’s first floor.

Assistant University Librarian Brian Mathews estimated that 400 students were evacuated from the building, though he said a number of die-hard academics ignored the alarm completely.

“It was weird — as I was leaving, I saw a lot of students who didn’t want to leave because they were studying,” Mathews said. “I understand, because it’s midterms.”

Mathews said the library will be updating its facilities and replacing its smoke detectors over the next two years.