The UCSB women’s tennis team competed in the 2010 Cal State Northridge Classic this weekend. Sophomore Erika Cano and freshman Casey Reese both lost in the finals of their respective flights, while also losing together in the finals of the B flight doubles championship.

The Gauchos went undefeated Friday, winning all nine of their opening round matches. Cano made it to the finals of B flight singles, but lost to freshman Susan McRann of Arizona 7-5, 6-1.

“Erika was a standout of the weekend,” Assistant Coach Charlotte Scatliffe said. “She has improved a lot from last year as a walk-on. This was the best tournament for her I’ve seen. I expect big things from her in the future.”

Cano also represented UCSB in the finals of B flight doubles alongside freshman Casey Reede. Although they made a valiant run after only playing together for three days, the Gauchos lost to a pair from Cal State Northridge on Sunday. Reede also played in the final of C flight singles, but lost to freshman Lorraine Cheung of Northridge 6-2,6-4.

“Our whole team is looking top notch and ready for the season,” Cano said. “I wished we started tomorrow.”

The four girls that did not play in the ITA Southwest Regional competed this weekend. The Cal State Northridge Classic consists of four flights, A, B, C, and D, differentiated by skill level. Flight A is the most difficult bracket.

Senior Michelle Murphy was scheduled to make the trip to Northridge, but was held out of competition due to a foot injury. Coaches hope to see her back in action as soon as next weekend.

Next up for the UCSB women’s team is the Cal Poly Invitational held at Cal Poly from Nov. 19 to Nov. 21. The dual match tournament will be the final competition of the fall season. Results of fall tournaments affect IA national rankings, but they do not count towards team competition records.

“This tennis is for yourself,” Coach Scatliff said. “It doesn’t count for the team, but you’re still representing UCSB.”