The Santa Barbara County Fire Dept. extinguished a fire at a residence on Hollister Avenue in Goleta yesterday.

Firefighters received a call from a homecare worker who noticed smoke coming out of his 84-year-old patient’s mobile home. The SBCFD immediately sent three engines, a ladder truck and a battalion chief to the scene.

[media-credit name=”PHOTO COURTESY OF The Santa Barbara County Fire Dept.” align=”alignright” width=”250″][/media-credit]

The Santa Barbara County Fire Department arrives at a mobile home in Goleta to extinguish a fire. Firefighters succeeded in confining flames to the kitchen.

Upon arrival, firefighters detained and smothered the fire in the kitchen. According to a press release issued by SBCFD, the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction and spread throughout the single wide mobile home.

Firefighters inspected the home-owner’s residency and discovered the smoke detector did not have working batteries. Officials said the male was fortunate the incident occurred during the day when others were able to notice the smoke.

SBCFD warned locals to maintain the functionality of their smoke alarms.

According to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, people should check their smoke detectors on a monthly basis and replace the batteries at least once a year.

– Staff Report