The women’s track and field team has jumped out to an early lead in the Big West championships after the multi-events with 17 points, three points ahead of the second place team Cal State Northridge.

[media-credit id=20037 align=”alignleft” width=”215″]Barbara Nwaba[/media-credit]

Junior Barbara Nwaba clears the bar in a high-jump event at an earlier meet. Nwaba shattered her own record in winning the 2010 Big West heptathlon.

Barbara Nwaba added to an already stellar list of accomplishments by winning the Big West championship in the heptathlon with a score of 5552, breaking her own UCSB record for the second time this year. Nwaba pulled away from the field on the second day of competition placing fifth in the long jump and third in the 800 meter to seal the victory.

Other results from the heptathlon included a fifth place finish for Christina Nowak, who moved up to fifth on the UCSB all time heptathlon list with a score of 4737, and a sixth place finish for Maureen Ajoku who is now sixth on the Gaucho all time list with a score of 4590.

On the men’s side, Mike Powers finished fourth in the decathlon with a personal-best score of 6986 and Josh Codding placed eighth with a score of 6427 okay. The Men’s team is currently fourth in Big West championships trailing Northridge, Cal Poly and Long Beach State with six points.

The Occidental invitational also took place this weekend, serving as the last meet before Big West Championships are in full swing.  Scott Finley placed second in the Pole Vault with a mark of 16-01.25 six inches behind the first place mark and Ryan Martin placed fifth in the 800 meter with a personal best time of 1:48.35.

Irene Kujore and Kayla Smith once again performed well in the throws. Kujore placed third in the hammer throw and fourth in the discus with marks of 175-04 and 150-10 respectively, while Smith placed second in the shot put with a mark of 49-08.50 and fifth in the discus with a mark of 149-11.

“I have been working more on my technique recently and it’s really starting to come together at the end of the year,” Kujore said. “I made it to NCAAs last year and this year I want to qualify in multiple events.”

The Big West Championship meet is Friday and Saturday, May 14-15, at Cal State Northridge.