Riding its longest winning streak of the season at three games, the UCSB softball team will look to keep the momentum going as they play host to Pacific this weekend in the team’s last home series of the season.

[media-credit id=20037 align=”alignleft” width=”207″][/media-credit]

Junior third baseman Jessica Beristianos fields the ball in an earlier game this season. She and the Gauchos have finally put a run together and look to keep it going.

“It’s always great to come out with a sweep and now we have some great momentum heading into these weekend games,” junior infielder Jessica Beristianos said.

Last weekend, UCSB (13-33 overall, 4-11 Big West) swept Long Beach State in its first Big West series victory in five tries this year. The winning pitcher in all three decisions was none other than sophomore pitcher Krista Cobb, who was consequently named Big West Pitcher of the Week for the first time this season and fifth time in her career.

Cobb pitched three straight complete games for the Gauchos, including 10 innings in a grueling 1-0 victory over the 49ers. For the weekend, Cobb recorded a stellar 0.88 ERA across 24 innings of work.

“It was awesome,” Beristianos said of Cobb’s performance. “We backed her up defensively and got it done offensively to get the wins.”

Pacific (20-28 overall, 6-9 Big West) may provide a tougher test for the Gauchos. The Tigers have won both road conference series this season, winning two of three on both trips. Pacific currently sits in sixth place in the Big West while UCSB is currently eighth.

“If we continue to support our pitchers and keep doing the little things here and there we will be competitive,” Beristianos said.

The series finale on Sunday will mark the final home contest of the 2010 season for Santa Barbara. Five Gaucho seniors — outfielder Priscilla Perez, catcher Kelsey Anderson, pitcher MeLinda Matsumoto, pitcher Lindsey Correa and infielder Jessica Ziegler — will be honored prior to the first pitch of Sunday’s final game.

“Our seniors have had great careers here, and we definitely want to send them out on a good note at home,” Beristianos said.

Come to Campus Diamond to support your Gauchos in their final home series of the year. Game times are Saturday at noon and 2 p.m. and Sunday at noon.