Women’s track and field opened their indoor competition season at the University of Washington Invitational this past weekend. Though several UCSB athletes put on impressive opening performances, the two-day event showcased senior high-jumper Jane Doolittle, who finished second out of 24 in her event.

Doolittle opened her final season with the Gauchos in top form, clearing 5’9.75″ (1.77m), less than one inch from her personal best. Freshman Zaina Akeh also tied for fourth, giving Santa Barbara two top-five finishers in the high jump.

In the shot put, freshman Irene Kujore and junior Kayla Smith notched top-10 finishes. Kujore etched her name into the Gaucho record books with a throw of 44’8.75″ (13.63m), a new personal best that ranks fifth on UCSB’s all-time list.

“This is just the first mark of the season and I know I can throw farther,” Kujore said. “My technique has gotten much better.”

Rounding out the exceptional showings was freshly minted Gaucho Jennifer Carey, who performed well in the sprints, placing 14th in the 400m with a time of 58.19 and 27th in the 200m with a time of 26.11.

Next up for women’s track and field is the United Heritage Invitational, which will be held Feb. 5-6 in Boise, ID.