We survived Halloween weekend, and it appears it was much quieter than last year. In my movie-based mentality, I went into the weekend with the intensity of the thudding “Terminator 2” theme running through my head. After three days of watching a lot of costumes and numerous drunks doing face-plants into walls, bushes and any other solid object that happened to be in their paths, I ended the weekend humming the “Benny Hill” theme. 

Of course, this Halloween was no different in regard to the amount of cops and with the zero-tolerance theme in full force. Many visitors out-of-towners left Isla Vista with a printed “trick,” courtesy of the Isla Vista Foot Patrol. Not exactly the fun-size Snickers bar they were hoping for, but with 200 cops walking up and down Del Playa Drive, did you really think your Captain Morgan costume would not garner a little attention? Or maybe it was the fact that you were carrying a Malibu Rum bottle that made us think something wasn’t quite right. 

Anyway, I am glad the majority of you made it through the weekend in one piece. I showed up to quite a few local parties — sadly not invited — but appreciated the cooperation from the students who were trying to keep it local. Hopefully someday this will be just a locals-only event, but for now, we have to make do with what we’ve got. 

I am 20 years old and live in Santa Cruz. I got a ticket for having a beer on Del Playa. Can I take care of the ticket here, or do I need to come back to Santa Barbara?

Come on! Of all places to not want to come back to, Santa Barbara? Don’t think of this as a required appearance at the Santa Barbara County Courthouse. Instead, think of it as a one-time opportunity to revisit the fabulous beachfront community’s local historical landmark of jurisdictional endeavors for an educational opportunity to look in to the legal aspects of the Santa Barbara wine country’s edicts on recreational embibement. OK, so to answer in a way not out of the Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism, yes, the Santa Barbara County Superior Court does require an appearance for alcohol violations by minors. And no, not coal workers. I’m talking about those under 21 years of age.

I was told that I was required to carry identification with me all the time. Is that the law?

No, there is no requirement to carry identification all the time. Certain activities do require it, such as driving a car, flying on an airplane or winning a bet that your name really is Organ D. Oner. However, if you are stopped by the police for a violation, like a beer ticket or bike violation, having your ID can mean the difference between getting a ticket and being arrested until the authorities can verify your identity. Usually, we can verify who you are by checking your name via a state database, but if we can’t find a match, the officer is not required to release you until he or she is confident you are who you say you are. So don’t take it personally that I need to confirm your name is “Tom E. Gunn,” but I may have my doubts …

My neighbors blast music all day long, and I have a hard time studying or getting any peace and quiet. They shut the music off at night when the noise ordinance starts, but is there anything I can do about it during the day?

There is nothing more frustrating that having a neighbor who blares John Tesh at 1 in the afternoon. Besides the fact that Tesh should be banned as torture per the Geneva Convention rules, you do have the right to peace and quiet in your own home. You can contact the IVFP and file a noise complaint per California Penal Code Section 415 (disturbing the peace). Basically, the law says that you have the right to some measure of peace and quiet. Once the complaint is received, we will try to mediate the problem by getting the neighbors to quiet down or at least play something more peaceful like AC/DC. We don’t disclose who called us to the scene, and we attempt to resolve these sorts of disputes without writing tickets. The idea is to try to be a peacekeeping force between neighbors.   

Until next time, I hope you all have a safe week, and if you have a problem, don’t hesitate to let me know. Keep on Questioning Authority!