Friends & Colleagues,

Vice Chancellor Michael Young’s letter regarding Floatopia suggested (among many things) to “get on Facebook and ask people not to come.” For those who have not directly seen the “garbage strewn along the shoreline” or have not had the opportunity to read the letter, please find both at the Facebook group “Floatopia 2 – NO!”

I posted images of Floatopia wreckage found on the beach 20 days after the event. These images were taken on April 25, 2009: the day of His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s visit.

On Friday, I had the opportunity and pleasure to listen to His Holiness the Dalai Lama. The positive energy was truly inspiring. After the event I took a walk down the beach and thought to myself, what if the Dalai Lama decided to do the same? Embarrassment and shame don’t even begin to describe how I might have felt. Nearly three weeks after Floatopia, the beach is still a mess. Yes, I’m sure some post-Floatopia trash has been introduced; however, the makeshift rafts, pallets, rope, plastic containers, plastic lids,- popped inflatable rubber and disintegrating Styrofoam are still present.

I understand humans have an environmental impact. There is no way around some level of footprint, but there is a way around the egregious Floatopia impact!

There will be a town hall meeting tonight from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at I.V. Theater. The panel will be made up of diverse perspectives and backgrounds.

Please consider:
1. Joining the group
2. Inviting your Facebook friends to do the same
3. Attending the town hall meeting
4. Not attending Floatopia 2

Thanks for your interest in this issue.